SCMR 2018 Seed Grant Program
The SCMR is pleased to announce the call for proposals for the SCMR Seed Grant Program. The goal of the program is to foster the development and/or validation of new techniques aimed at increasing the clinical effectiveness of CMR. One 'Basic Science' and one 'Clinical Science' Grant of up to $5,000 will be awarded in 2018 selected from proposals submitted on the topics of “High Risk and high Reward: New Transformative CMR Methods and Applications”.
The SCMR encourages young investigators to break new ground on these topics and share their work with the SCMR community. Please review the information below and submit your proposal through the online submission platform. Please consider contributing the Seed Grant Program through the SCMR Research & Education Fund.
- The Seed Grant Program is open to junior clinical and basic scientists (no more than 5 years after completion of the applicant’s terminal research degree (e.g. PhD) or medical residency, whichever is later, or fellowship) at the time of the submission of the application. Pre-doctoral students, post-doctoral trainees and junior faculty are all eligible and encouraged to apply.
- The applicant must be a current member of the SCMR.
- SCMR seed grants are not intended to duplicate support for a funded research project, but can provide support for an ancillary pilot or junior faculty project linked to an existing grant awarded to a project mentor (e.g. R01). The award only supports currently unfunded projects that need seed funding to generate preliminary data
- A cover letter from the applicant describing their employment position and how the seed grant funds will be used to further their academic career. The cover letter should indicate if the application falls in the 'Basic Science' or 'Clinical Science' category (1 page maximum).
- A letter from the applicant’s supervisor or department head (1 page maximum). This letter should include a mentoring and training plan and confirm that the applicant will have the time and resources needed to accomplish the proposed research project
- Brief biosketch in NIH or equivalent format (2 page maximum).
- Research plan (3 pages maximum): Description of the research including aims, current knowledge, preliminary work, and research plan / work packages including timeline and milestones for a 1 year project.
o This plan should clearly state and describe the novelty of the proposed research, how it is different from existing (funded) projects, and how it addresses at least one of the target topic areas.
o Future directions should be discussed. How will the seed grant funds help generate preliminary data that help to sustain the project and subsequently lead to long-term funding?
- A detailed budget justification should be provided (1/2 page maximum). The funds from the award cannot be used for personal salary support. Eligible budget items include funds for generating preliminary data (e.g. scan time, equipment and/or supplies, software, associated trainee support) and funds for travel expenses to establish collaborations with other institutions / research groups.
- Describe any potential conflicts of interest (1/2 page maximum)
Funding and Award Process
- One 'Basic Science' and one 'Clinical Science' for $5,000 will be made for one year.
- Grant applications will be reviewed by the Science Committee, which will recommend the award recipient to the Executive Committee for approval.
- The winner(s) will be announced at the Awards Ceremony during the 2018 SCMR Annual Scientific Sessions with a project start date of March 1, 2018.
- A Progress Report must be submitted at the end of one year.
- The Progress Report must include a detailed summary of project costs, and a description of progress made towards the proposed research aims.
- The investigator will be invited to submit the results of the research project for presentation at the SCMR Annual Scientific Sessions.
- When ready for publication, the award recipients are encouraged to submit their work to JCMR, where it will be subject to the usual peer review process.
- The recipients of the award should acknowledge the SCMR Seed Grant Award in all abstracts and papers that result from the award.
- The deadline for electronic submission of research proposals is November 1st, 12:00 pm Eastern Standard Time.
- All submission materials should be assembled into a single pdf file and submitted electronically to through the submission platform.